All things new in Dublin
Recently Geoff Sperian from The Dublin Liberties Distillery came to visit us in The Shelbourne. We held a little catch up and tasting to remind us of all things new coming in Dublin.
The Dublin Liberties portfolio is a lovely, lively selection. The new distillery “DLD” is opened on the 19th Feburary in the heart of Dublin. Rubbing shoulders in the old whiskey triangle with Teeling, Pearse Lyons and Roe and Co.
Location is key for the newbies – 5 minutes from St Patrick’s Cathedral, 10 minutes from Christchurch Cathedral, 12 minutes from The Guinness Storehouse – The Liberties is the upcoming community in Dublin.
Steeped in a history of whiskey, beer making and textiles, the name comes from lands united to Dublin city, but they were a law onto themselves preserving their own justice. Adorned with “Oak Devil” heads to scare off outsiders, the Liberties were basically Gotham in Dublin!
The juice itself is just fab! Boasting 7 distinct offerings and 3 more on the way.
– Oak Devil – blend of grain and malt lots of apple and caramel flavours
– Copper Alley – 10 year old single malt finished in Olorosso sherry casks I find lots of choclately notes
– The Dubliner – a smooth Bourbon casked whiskey with a lovely buttery finish
– The Dubliner Liqueur – loads of toffee and vanilla – makes a great long drink
– The Dubliner 10 year Single Malt – Just think of peaches and cream with a apple cinnamon spinkle on top
– The Dubliner Master Distiller’s Reserve – Grain and 7 year old malt shows off plently of nutmeg and cardamon spices
– The Dead Rabbit – A 5 year old a massive oak influence with a long robust finish made with the Northern Irish boys working in the legendary bar in New York
– Murder Lane – 13 year old Single Malt
– Keepers Coin – 16 year old Single Malt
– King of Hell – 27 year old Single Malt
All of us here at The Shelbourne are really looking forward to seeing what our friends in Dublin do. We are big fans of the whiskey and we can’t wait to head up east and visit soon!!!